About the LDP
The Linux Documentation Project is developing free, high quality documentation
for the GNU/Linux operating system. This includes the creation of HOWTOs and Guides,
and collaboration with other documentation groups.
If you've always wanted to help Linux reach
Total World Domination(tm), but you're not a programmer,
there's still something you can do. Help the LDP!
The LDP keeps a page of resources for authors at
Contributions are always welcome.
For more LDP Weekly News, go to
LinuxFocus Joins the LDP
We are very happy to announce a new section of the LDP.
It's called LinuxFocus,
and it's a European magazine that has been published since 1997.
LinuxFocus is an outstanding publication in many ways.
It is produced by a wide ranging team of volunteers,
all content is licensed under the
GNU Free Documentation License,
so it is completely Free, and it is published in
Dutch, English, French, German, Russian, Spanish and Turkish!
The team is currently working to add Arabic and Korean.
Older editions are available in Chinese (GB), Chinese (Big5), Italian and Portuguese.
Covered topics in the July 2001 edition include:
- Avoiding Security Holes When Developing an Application - Part 4: format strings
- Book Review: Professional Perl Programming
- Singing in the Web (a look at the Opera browser)
- Do magic with Images on the Shell
- Compiling, Configuring and Installing a Fully-Working Customized Linux Kernel
- Wacky Uses for RAID, /dev/ram, and ramfs
- Learning with nmap
- Yellow Pages (NIS, in two parts)
As you can see, the coverage is quite broad, and there is something of
interest to all us Penguin Lovers.
A new edition of LinuxFocus is released every other month.
- C++ Programming HOW-TO
Version 40.2, Al Dev, firstname.lastname@example.org
- CVS-RCS- HOW-TO document for Linux (Source Code Control System)
Version 21.3, Al Dev, email@example.com
Version 2.0.4, Ari Makela, firstname.lastname@example.org
- PHP HOW-TO
Version 25.4, Al Dev, email@example.com
- Sat (Satellite Technology) HOWTO
Version 1.3, Florindo Santoro, Flosan@hack-it.it, Roberto Arcomano, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Serial Laplink HOWTO
Version 2.1, Willem J. Atsma
- The Linux Kernel HOWTO
Version 3.0, Brian Ward, email@example.com
- The Linux Man-Page HOWTO
Version 1.16, Jens Schweikhardt, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vim Color Editor HOW-TO (Vi Improved with syntax color highlighting
Version 17.2, Al Dev, email@example.com