Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: LaTeX2HTML v0.3.1 available
From: [email-masked] (N F Drakos)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1993 14:17:33 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www,comp.text.tex,alt.hypertext,comp.text.sgml

A new release of the LaTeX2HTML translator (v0.3.1) is now available.

Summary of the most important changes since v0.2
************************************************

o Image Recycling 
   Images for equations, tables, figures, special characters etc.,
   generated by the translator are reused during subsequent runs.
   This offers tremendous improvements in speed after an initial 
   successful translation.  

o Cross-References Between (Local or Remote) Documents 
   Cross-references between documents (possibly on
   remote locations) can be established via symbolic labels which are
   independent of the physical filenames.  
   Such cross-references will be maintained with a 
   re-translation even after one or more of the documents have been
   broken into different physical parts or moved.  

o New Options 
   -external_images
      Images are accessed via hypertext links instead of being "inlined".
   -ascii_mode 
      The navigation icons switch to ascii equivalents and images 
      are not "inlined". This option makes documents more portable.

o New Texexpand (contributed by Robert S. Thau <[email-masked]>)

Online information via the World Wide Web
*****************************************

For more information on how to retrieve, install and use the translator see:
http://cbl.leeds.ac.uk/nikos/tex2html/doc/latex2html/latex2html.html

An *ascii version* of the same documentation is at:
http://cbl.leeds.ac.uk/nikos/tex2html/doc/latex2html.ascii/latex2html.ascii.html

A postscript version of the above is available at:
http://cbl.leeds.ac.uk/nikos/tex2html/doc/latex2html.ps

The full list of changes from v0.2 is at:
http://cbl.leeds.ac.uk/nikos/tex2html/doc/latex2html/subsection3.8.2.html
and the changes from v0.3 at:
http://cbl.leeds.ac.uk/nikos/tex2html/doc/latex2html/subsection3.8.1.html

For the brave ones who got v0.3 last week there is a patch to 
take you to v0.3.1 in:
http://cbl.leeds.ac.uk/nikos/tex2html/previous-versions/patch0.3-to-0.3.1

The new release should become available via anonymous ftp from
ftp.tex.ac.uk in pub/archive/support/latex2html ***soon***.

Overview
********

The translator: 

 o breaks up a document into one or more components as specified by
   the user, 
 o provides an optional next, previous, and up navigation panel on every
   page, 
 o handles equations, tables, figures, and any arbitrary environment.  
   These are passed to
   [LaTeX] and then converted to images which are either included in
   the document or are made available through hypertext links, 
 o can produce output suitable for browsers that support inlined images
   or character based browsers (as specified by the user), 
 o handles definitions of new commands, environments, and theorems
   even when these are defined in external style files, 
 o handles footnotes, tables of contents, lists of figures and tables,
   bibliographies, and can generate an  index, 
 o translates cross-references into hyperlinks, 
 o extends the [LaTeX] cross-referencing mechanism to work not just
   within a document but between documents which may reside in
   remote locations, 
 o recognizes hypertext links (to sound/video/ftp/http/news etc.
   addresses) expressed as LaTeX commands, 
 o can deal sensibly at least with the Common [LaTeX] commands
   summarized at the back of the [LaTeX] blue book [1], 
 o will try and translate any document with embedded [LaTeX]
   commands irrespective of whether it is complete or syntactically
   legal.  

Requirements
************

The translator makes use of the following public domain programs and
libraries: 

 o [LaTeX], dvips (version 5.512 or later).  These are part of the same
   distribution.  
 o Perl (version 4.0 - RCSfile: perl.c,v - Revision: 4.0.1.8 - Date:
   1993/02/05 19:39:30 - Patch level: 36) 
 o gs (Ghostscript version 2.6.1).  This is necessary for the conversion of
   postscript files to the XBM and GIF formats.  
 o The pbmplus library (distribution of 22nov89 or later).  From this, the
   utilities pnmcrop and ppmtoxbm are used during the postscript to
   XBM conversion.  

If ghostscipt or the pbmplus library are not available it is still possible
to get acceptable output but without equations, 
figures, tables, special symbols and arbitrary environments.  

[1] Leslie Lamport.  LATEX User's Guide & Reference Manual.
    Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., 1986.  

Nikos Drakos <[email-masked]>
Computer Based Learning Unit
University of Leeds.